Fiber? Optical Transmission?
Are these words that are familiar to you?
How about Layer 1?
If you like to support networking products, this could be your new job:
Scope Of Responsibilities
- This position is to provide system-level post-sales technical support for the Optical Transport solution customer base. This includes testing, troubleshooting and remote technical support for Optical Transport products.
- Focus to contribute to technical support function for Japan’s & APAC customers. It includes flexible approach to meet customer deliverables. Role demands accountability in terms of Customer case management, Manage escalations, Customer communications & Cross functional working with Sales/Services/Project/Product experts in same or different time zone ensuring timely delivery of solution to our customer.
- Responsible and drive customer satisfaction with regular interactions, timely responses and resolving customer network challenges.
- GTS support engineer to manage Japan-specific customer requirements to start with and may add other geographies.
- An understanding of the fiber optic transport and/or switching protocols would be an asset. Basic expertise in data communications protocols including Ethernet and IP networks would also be of benefit.
- Provide input as required for GTS and Customer operational reviews.
- Coordinate with other support teams to ensure cases are progressing and all deliverables are met
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with other teams and customers
- Participate in Customer Operational Review meetings as required
- Conduct regular case reviews to manage customer tickets and work on hand
- Develop an intimate in-depth knowledge of the Customer networks, deployments and overall solutions employed with the equipment
- Involve in remote technical support (via telephone or on line) for identified products 24x7 when required through team. On call duty includes evenings and weekends as needed
- Provide on-site support to Customers where required
- Fulfill role of Resident Engineer requirement as required
- Work with Quality Assurance, Design, Product Management, Technical Publications, and Training to provide Customer feedback
- Contribute to knowledgebase and improve skills over time to meet individual, team and organization goals
- Facilitate collaborative relationships between immediate team and peer GTS team, as well as between immediate team and other internal teams / organizations to ensure high level of Customer Satisfaction
- Represents the department effectively & professionally as required, both internally as well as to customers
- Good understanding of telecommunications systems and / or of specific products
- Knowledge of computers, Microsoft software applications and data communications, UNIX/Sun and IP network experience would be a benefit
- Must have proficiency with various software applications including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Visio
- Experience as technical support engineer
- Team player that is ready to contribute or lead troubleshooting
- Willing to take responsibility for complete problem resolution
- Ability to deal with stressful situations with colleagues and customers
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively in Japanese & English language both verbal and written
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be punctual and able to accept continuous unusual work hours when dealing with critical customer issues, typically, at very short notice
- Clear understanding of Technical Support industry and the application
- Ability to analyze, trouble-shoot and resolve complex problems
- Motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills and an ability to work from broad guidelines with minimal supervision
- Good knowledge and understanding of transport and switching systems for telecommunications applications/Systems
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in related field from a four-year college or university
- 5-8 years or more related experience in a support or equivalent role with direct customer support experience
- Combination of equivalent education & experience
- Technical knowledge of DWDM, OTN and SDH technologies.
- Proven problem-solving experience of complex and cross functional issues in Optical systems
- Experienced in the operation of optical transmission, DWDM and photonic systems (i.e. OTN, 10Gbps, 40Gbps, 100Gbps, Submarine)
- In depth knowledge and experience with Carrier Ethernet enterprise equipment and associated fiber optic facilities
- Experienced in network management systems operation and maintenance
- Working knowledge and experience of UNIX/Solaris/LINUX operating systems
- Working knowledge and experience of Oracle and MySQL database systems