Our client is a provider of software, systems and services to store/manage data.
As a Manager of Technical Support you provide direct supervision to Technical Support Engineers and Escalation Engineers in the function.
Technical Support Engineers work individually and as part of a team committed to diagnosing, reproducing, and fixing customer software and hardware issues. They troubleshoot protocols to assist customer with problem isolation and resolution.
Escalation Engineers provide engineering support, to large and strategically important customers, customer support personnel, and field support staff who are focused on diagnosing, troubleshooting, repairing and debugging various products.
The Manager of Technical Support must possess excellent customer service skills and technology know-how needed to work successfully in high-pressure, time sensitive situations where customer satisfaction is the ultimate goal. In addition, to be successful, you must have the ability to function successfully as a team leader, and desire to develop in a manager role.
A major part of your responsibility will be to provide oversight to a group or groups of Technical Support Engineers and Escalation Engineers responsible for:
- Resolve customer problems via the telephone, the web or other means of communication
- Research customer issues in a timely manner and follow up directly with the customer with recommendations and action plans
- Create new knowledgebase articles to capture new learnings for reuse throughout the center
- Participate in technical communications within the Technical Support Engineering team to share best practices and learn about new technologies and complimentary storage applications
- Respond to situations where product support has been unable to solve customer’s technical issues.
- Provide a high level of proactive and reactive services by building relationships with the customer to best serve their needs
- Establish operational objectives and work plans, and delegate assignments to subordinate managers
- Develop, modify and execute company policies that will positively affect immediate operations
- Implement new projects, policies and procedures for the department(s); and ensure that project goals are met.
- Develop proposed budgets for approval and assure adherence once budget is approved
- Utilize previously technical, project management, and people management experience to actively lead regional and global projects
- Take responsibility for results, including costs, methods and staffing
- A minimum of 10 years of experience as an individual contributor; a minimum of 5 years as a people manager
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field; or equivalent related experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Customer service experience working with customers in high stress or ambiguous situations on complex problems
- A clear understanding of the product development cycle, technical requirements and project management
- Experience with, or overall understanding of:
- NFS, the UNIX remote file sharing protocol
- CIFS, the Windows NT remote file sharing protocol
- Microsoft Exchange and/or Veritas software
- A strong understanding of concepts related to computer architecture through implementation
- Experience with developing budgets and predicting project costs
- A demonstrated ability to manage professional level employees