Our client is a global pioneer and leader in brand consulting and design, and helps clients create brands that excel in today’s market. Their branding services include strategy and positioning, identity and design, brand architecture, innovation, naming and verbal branding, research and analytics, environments and experience, engagement and activation, and digital and social media.
The Senior Client Manager (SCM) is responsible for achieving and maintaining client satisfaction by helping clients and their brands gain profitable growth by thriving in an accelerated pace of change where disruption is the norm. An SCM is typically responsible for a series of accounts or brands that are part of a larger portfolio for which a Client Director is accountable. The SCM seeks way to grow existing business and add value to other new business pursuits. The SCM may manage one or more team members and along with those team members, ensures that all projects are delivered on time, on budget, and on scope.
- Is comfortable with and knowledgeable about all of our client’s capabilities, including Research, Strategy, Innovation, Design, Naming/Verbal Identity, Environments, Digital, and Engagement, and recommends growth opportunities that expand our client’s offer with his/her clients.
- Is accountable for delivering all agreed-upon projects, on time, on budget, and on scope.
- Stays in close contact with resource management and the Client Director to ensure projects are resourced adequately, in alignment with scope and budget.
- Ensures all correspondence, materials, presentations, proposals seen by prospective and existing clients are error-free, of highest quality, relevant to the client’s business challenges, and reflective of our client’s approach to Agile Brands.
- Partners effectively with all departments to ensure delivery of on-time, high-quality deliverables that address all relevant prospective client requirements.
- Communicates findings and recommendations in a clear and compelling manner in written, oral and presentation forms.
- Provides back-up and archiving of key client deliverables, credentials and case histories.
- Documents work through case studies.
- Interacts with colleagues and clients in a positive, professional and motivating manner.
People and Team
- Understands team interaction and roles of team members.
- Performs well in a team environment.
- Leads and/or participates in workshops and other sessions to grow expertise in Experience Maps, Opportunity Mapping, and other tools to identify business opportunities and solve clients’ business challenges.
- Ensures direct reports, as applicable, are learning to articulate and use all of our client’s tools.
- Fosters communication and cohesion between internal teams and functions.
- Facilitates internal project team meetings (kick-off, status, etc.) as appropriate.
- Provides mentoring and on-the-job training for junior level talent. Responsible for individual performance management of direct reports, including performance appraisals and interim reviews.
- Demonstrates commitment to and adheres to project budgets. Proactively raises concerns in a timely fashion so that action can be taken to solve concerns.
- Delegates work to junior-level talent as appropriate.
- Responsible for motivating project teams.
- Constantly seeks out knowledge and active feedback and responds quickly and positively.
- Is the central point of communication on one or more clients, and is accountable for the health and growth of the relationship. And/or partners with Client Directors as key partner for relationships owned by Client Director.
- Is accountable for delivering agreed-up revenue and growth targets.
- Embraces business development and can identify business opportunities on existing clients.
- Collaborates with the wider team - designers, consultants, production - to agree appropriate resources and ensure high quality deliverables are delivered on time and on budget.
- Maintains a regular flow of information between the client and the team, ensuring milestones are met.
- Leads work sessions to identify opportunities, critique designs, and evaluate all deliverables as the engagements progress, always through the filter of the client brief.
- Develops a deep understanding of the client’s organization and business needs. Becomes a trusted advisor to the client.
- Builds confidence with the client that strategic solutions, project details, process steps, billings and deliverables are well organized, communicated and managed.
- Is comfortable interacting with clients at a senior level.
- Leads client presentations as assigned.
- Oversees overall quality of brand programs, ensuring the Client’s needs are met throughout the entire process.
- Resolves work quality issues through interactions with wider team members as appropriate.
- Is accountable for client communications to surface and discuss scope creep, pricing, and budget challenges, and course-corrects if project profitability is negatively impacted.
Strategic and Innovative Thinking
- Continually growing in knowledge of and ability to identify opportunities for strategic partnership and deliverables.
- Participates in brand discussions, client workshops, brainstorms and development of strategic deliverables. May lead some sessions.
- Can align and articulate the link between creative work and strategic foundations and insights.
- Able to support the wider client services and strategy teams to develop and write competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Has developed a sophisticated understanding of branding and design.
- Displays thought leadership and can articulate and improve our client’s market profile.
- May be authoring thought leadership pieces (e.g. Atticus submission).
New Business Development
- Demonstrates a hunger for and supports the focus on New Business opportunities.
- Understands and demonstrates a commitment to carving out time for new business opportunities outside of owned client relationships.
- Identifies revenue growth opportunities within existing client relationships, and understands how our client’s tools (e.g. Opportunity Maps, Experience Maps) can open doors to new opportunities.
- Cultivates advanced negotiation and persuasion skills within the Client Services wider team.
- Researches prospective clients; background, industry trends, organizational structure, business objectives, competitors.
- Prepares Case Histories.
- Updates Client Central as requested.
- Demonstrates commitment to best-in-class project and financial management for all projects, engagements and growth opportunities.
- Utilizes project management and budget management skills to ensure projects stay on brief, on budget, and on time.
- Partners with internal team members to ensure schedules and budgets are met. Proactively and quickly escalates challenges or hurdles to that success.
- Partners with Finance for budget management on all projects, including opening project numbers, scoping accurately, managing project fees, managing time card completion, and answering invoicing questions.
- Pays close attention to and is responsible for realization and utilization for his/her team and projects.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to targets, budget allocations, and profitability. Meets individual revenue targets.
- Supports Finance Team on finance reporting, invoicing and debt collection. Prepares documents for budget meetings.
- Partners closely with Finance Director to oversee project and client revenue generation and profitability.
- Partners with finance to forecast revenue and monthly/weekly targets. Proactively and continually monitors the business and raises challenges in a timely fashion.
- Recommends course of action if client revenue targets are moving off target.
- Updates Client Central as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree; MBA optional.
- 7 or more years of experience in branding consultancy, advertising agency or business consultancy, with team and client leadership experience.
- Powerful and expert communicator – exceptional presentation skills and written communication skills.
- Exceptionally organized, with systems for tracking and managing time
- Growing sophistication around various personality levels and seniority levels, and growing ability to develop others.
- Comfort around higher management.
- Diplomatic but not fearful of conflict or confrontation.
- Impact and results oriented.
- Decisive, but respectful of and comfortable with ambiguity and changing priorities.
- Voracious hunger – for new information, for new business, for new ideas.
- Financially savvy – can articulate and understand financial goals for the business and for team members.
- Optimistic and capable of encouraging the same from others.
- Strategic and intellectual agility – can connect the dots and recommend next steps in a linear course of action